A really eye-catching and fun way to display cupcakes is to create a cupcake bouquet. Simple and yet really unique, this bouquet is great for parties or even a great way to say thank you to employees and customers. Bouquets can be made in a variety of sizes but the ones shown here each hold roughly 4 dozen small cupcakes so there are plenty for everyone.
I use mini muffin tins to bake the cupcakes and they come out just the right size for most people and for the bouquet. So to start make at least 5 – 6 dozen cupcakes as there will likely be some duds and the number that fit varies depending on how they are placed.
- 8″ terracotta plant pot with matching base
- 8″ diameter styrofoam half dome or you can also use a full styrofoam ball slightly smaller — just be sure it rests in the pot with at least half of the ball above the top of the pot.
- Bamboo skewers
- Hot glue gun
- Green tissue paper
- Glue the the base to the pot with a lot of hot glue to ensure it stays firmly attached.
- Using the bamboo skewers, place them in the base of the styrofoam at random angles such that the reach the bottom of the inside of the pot. Trim them as needed.
- Place a lot of glue in the bottom of the pot and around the top edge of the pot and place the styrofoam dome on top. You need to move quickly before the glue dries so be sure the dome with the skewers is a good fit before gluing.
- Tear the green tissue paper into random shaped pieces, crunch slightly and glue to the styrofoam to completely cover.
These pots can easily be used over and over again and can be made in a variety of different sizes.
Assembling the Bouquet:
Using toothpicks attach the cupcakes to the styrofoam. I found it easier to put the toothpick in the base of the cupcake and then add it to the pot.
Be sure to completely cover the styrofoam, little bits of green tissue paper may show but the dome should be completely covered. The cupcakes around the edge of the pot made need 2 toothpicks to hold them steady — just be sure to put the toothpicks at different angles so the cupcake is more secure.
The cupcakes can only be iced once they are on the pot and rose bouquets are the easiest to pipe. Using a star shaped piping tip, start in the middle of each cupcake and swirl around to the outer edge. Once all cupcakes are iced, you should have a beautiful cupcake bouquet!